Founded by Jenny Smith in 2009, we are currently a team of six photographers looking to expand our family!
We photograph 60+ weddings a year in a high-demand area of Los Angeles county, and are extremely passionate about what we do. We’re a team rooted in community, who believe that doing work (and life) together accomplishes more than doing it alone. Our studio is located in North Hills and we are eager to add team members to work alongside us here!
– the Jenny Smith & Co. team
There are so many benefits to working at JS&CO! We work as a team, problem solve together, challenge ourselves creatively, and laugh a ton along the way! We care deeply about our clients, the work we do, and about one another. It is an immense blessing to work somewhere that feels like family. In my 9 years at JS&CO, I have grown not only as a photographer and creative, but as a leader, and friend as well.
Associate Photographer & Studio Manager
ABOUT THE POSITION
We are in need of someone willing to pre-edit our wedding images. This means taking a first pass at the roughly 8,000-10,000 images per wedding and culling them down to about 25% of the total. The position includes working in our North Hills studio culling images, learning our brand, and the post-production process. As weddings are very seasonal this would involve one to two days a week in slower months and as many as four days a week in busier seasons. Beyond that, the goal is to have you join on as part of the face of our company! We consider ourselves a family and are looking for someone dedicated to working alongside us, and being mentored by the Jenny Smith & Co team.
We’re not looking for a short term intern or employee, but rather a commitment and interest in joining a team and growing with the company. This job is best for someone with a passion for photography, but whose lifestyle doesn’t give them the time to run a full time studio. We hope this position allows you to fulfill your desire to shoot weddings while also working alongside us as a team member.
Working for Jenny Smith & Co is an absolute dream. Jenny pours her heart into team building and training; which helps create a vibrant, purpose-driven team of photographers. It’s an absolute pleasure to be a part of this family, where we do life together and vulnerability is always encouraged. Being surrounded by amazing talent and wonderful friends means that this space rarely feels like a job, but more of a loving community.
Associate Photographer & Editor
WHAT’S TO LOVE ABOUT THIS JOB
- Our desire is to help you grow as a photographer! The most valuable way we’ve trained our shooters in the past has been through pre-editing. You get to see what we shoot and what ultimately gets delivered to clients.
- Freedom from the business side of wedding photography. Leave the communication, booking, marketing, etc to us. You just get to be a part of a team and help with the overall process!
- There is growth potential! We are always looking to promote from within as new opportunities arise.
- Community! We are a close-knit group. We love working alongside one another, as well as getting to know each other outside of work.
- Team building is an essential part of caring for one another. We have monthly team meetings, annual Christmas extravaganzas, trips to Disneyland, etc.
- One-on-one lunches with Jenny to get to know each other on a more personal level.
- Work-life “blend.” We know you have a life outside work — and at Js&CO, you can also have a life inside work. We value all your talents (not just the ones written in a job description.) and want you to bring your whole personality to your role.
- DRESS CASUAL, EAT DONUTS, AND LAUGH ‘TIL WE CRY!
HERE’S WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
(we’ll teach you!)
- Culling weddings and engagement sessions in our studio. This could evolve into a remote position, but for now we’d love someone who can join us in our studio.
- Working with the team on catch-all creative projects.
- ATTENDING MONTHLY TEAM MEETINGS TO STAY CONNECTED, BRAINSTORM AS A TEAM, AND UNIFY OUR GOALS.
- Adaptability – You are able to be flexible with the ever changing needs of clients and of a small company.
- Team Participation – We believe all members of the team provide a valuable contribution no matter the size. Feel confident to participate in team meetings, critiques, discussions, etc.
- Humility and Service – Though there is some hierarchy here, we all believe that there is no job too big or too small.
- Intentionality – Be thoughtful in your words and actions. Do what you do with purpose and great care.
- Willingness to Learn – You are teachable. You’re open and eager to learn new things, new systems, in new ways, and you see input as a valuable learning tool.
- Communication Skills – Interpersonal skills are essential to both our time together in the studio as well as with clients.
- Time Management Skills – You are on time, prioritize tasks thoughtfully, and stay on task when you are in the studio.
- Respectful of others and of confidential information shared with you. We strive to remain gossip-free.
Working with Jenny Smith & Co. has not only been fulfilling and fun, but also an enjoyable growing and learning experience. I’ve learned so much more beyond photography and I’ve developed friendships amongst the people I work with as well as a passion for small business customs. It has truly been a pleasant place and the donut perks aren’t bad either!
Second Shooter & Photo Booth Attendant
- Have reliable transportation.
- Availability on weekdays to work in the studio in North Hills.
- Flexibility to work 1-2 days in the off-season and 3-4 in the busy season.
- Availability in the evening for our once a month team meeting.
- Have a general understanding of Apple computers (a working knowledge of Photomechanic is a plus but not required).
Working at JS&CO is like working with friends in a supportive environment in which we all work hard and take our responsibilities seriously, but we make sure to still have fun along the way. This is going to be my third year at JS&CO. I consider myself beyond lucky to work here and be part of this team. If you value genuine connections and working in an environment that is responsive and accommodating beyond the boundaries of your workspace, then this is the place for you.
Associate Photographer & Editor
HOW TO APPLY
*Please note, all items must be completed and submitted to be considered for this role.*
- PDF of your resume
- List of photography equipment
- Link to your website, instagram, and full wedding gallery if you have THEM
- Link to a 2 min video uploaded to Youtube (can be unlisted). Please introduce yourself and tell us what makes you a great fit for JS&CO! (Note: we will not review any videos longer than 2 minutes)
- Please take >>THIS<< Enneagram Test. Screenshot and attach your result!
- Please take >>THIS<< 5 Voices Assessment. Screenshot and attach your result!
- INCLUDE IN YOUR Email body:
– What draws you to want to work at JS&CO?
– Which test/assessment did you find to be
the most accurate about yourself anD why?
– What is your favorite kind of donut??
To submit the information above to be considered for the position, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please use this specific subject line: *your name here* JS&CO Application
Some of the funniest and most intentional group of artists I’ve ever met. Their talent and drive to capture a visual poem of your love story is inspirational. Combine all that and it’s a no brainer to work with them!
WE’RE EXCITED TO MEET YOU!
A NOTE FROM JENNY:
Thank you for reading this far and for being interested in joining our team! I truly cannot express enough how grateful I am for this small, dedicated group of people. I am so blessed by the JS&CO team that has not only enriched my business, but also my life. I am so excited to hear from you, get to know you, and potentially welcome you into our little family.
– Jenny Smith
meet: at our studio in the san fernando valley
los angeles, california
(by appointment only)